Dead grass and dead beat

The park that we reseeded last autumn has really come on, the grass growing way better than I could have hoped for. However this year I have had one problem with it that I could not get on top of. It took way longer than expected for the flail mower to arrive. After being messed around by a French company we then had to get one from Germany! This meant that the grass was quite long when it had its first cut of the year. I was gradually getting rid of the dead grass with later cutting but then we had two weeks of rainy / sunny days. Result being that the grass grew tall again and I could not get on it to cut it for quite some time. The build up of dead grass that will not disappear was not good news. Firstly it really makes the flail mower / tractor struggle when mowing and secondly, once the summer really hits it will have a very adverse effect on the grass that it covers. So today the solution arrived. I bit the bullet and hired an Italian mower with a big grass collector. 






It took me 11 hours to cut the whole park but it was worth it to see the end result. It was not so much the mowing that took the time, it was having to empty the grass collector every two runs! There was soooo much dead grass. Some of it I could tip into the edge of the forrest and the rest is on our ever growing bonfire! Now I should be able to easily and quickly cut the park every couple of weeks. It really does look great now. But boy, was I knackered......




Comments

Popular Posts